Education & Outreach
Education & Outreach Workgroup
The Education & Outreach Workgroup is the face of the Collaborative. They facilitate direct landowner outreach events to engage landowners in conversations about the benefits of conservation easements on drinking water supplies. They also assist with educating the general community about how protecting land protects drinking water through outreach and education.
- July 2nd, 2020 - Meeting Notes. The group discussed next steps needed to publish our first monthly newsletter, "The Intake". We then approved a list of who we will be sending our initial outreach letters to in the coming weeks. We will schedule our next meeting for either August or September.
- June 29th, 2020 - Meeting Notes. Finalized the "Logo Questionnaire". The members reviewed after the meeting and approved this version that will be sent to Downstream Project so they can begin designing the logo.
- June 22nd, 2020 - Meeting Notes. A three-member logo development sub-committee of the Education & Outreach Workgroup met with Downstream Project to begin discussing the development of a Collaborative logo. We reviewed our process, discussed the Planning for Success survey results regarding logo design & associated word-clouds, and began answering the questions on Downstream Project's "Logo Questionnaire".
- June 11th, 2020 - Meeting Notes. The workgroup agreed on a process for developing a Collaborative logo, and three members agreed to serve on an ad-hoc subcommittee to review ideas, work with our designer on drafting a logo, and approving final product. We discussed in-depth the most successful strategies for reaching out to the 37 top-tier landowners from our prioritization model and began developing an approach for deciding whom the letter would come from, based on information from a recent report on "Understanding Rural Attitudes Toward the Environment and Conservation in America" in regards to the most trusted sources of environmental information.
- May 14th, 2020 - Meeting Notes. The primary discussion was the best ways for us to conduct outreach to the 37 top-tier landowners from our prioritization model. We also discussed multiple general updates at the beginning of the meeting, including survey results regarding comments on the priorization story map & digital map. Members of the group are working on creating content for the Landowners page of the website, as well as a logo for the Collaborative.
- April 16th, 2020 - Meeting Notes. The group discussed our next steps for hosting landowner outreach events while taking into consideration the impacts of COVID-19. David Lillard from the Collaborative's Steering Committee provided the group some notes on landowner outreach during COVID-19. The group will meet again in mid-May.
- February 12th, 2020 - Joint meeting with Conservation Workgroup. Meeting notes reflect our major talking points, which included an update on a Conservation Financing Workshop in December 2019 (agenda, notes, and finance strategies graphic), as well as a discussion on Conservation Easement Quick Facts to convey in our landowner outreach in 2020.
- January 22nd, 2020 - Meeting Notes. The group discussed survey results on the first draft of our BMP Toolkit, comprised of a "decision matrix" for easement monitors to use during their annual monitoring visit, as well as an "educational brochure" for the landowners. We reviewed opportunities to improve these documents to discuss at our next meeting.
- January 14th, 2020 - Met to discuss the results of our "who-knows-who" survey of 37 top tier property parcels from the GIS Prioritization Model (v1). From those surveys results, created a landowner outreach matrix that assigned a primary contact from the Collaborative for each top-tier property parcel. Full meeting notes here.
- December 18th, 2019 - Education & Outreach workgroup had their first meeting to review priority actions to accomplish by the end of April 2020. Presentation was given to review those objectives, as well as the GIS Prioritization Model v1. The group decided to have a special planning meeting in January 2020, as well as a joint meeting with Conservation Workgroup in February 2020. Full meeting notes here.